Monday, June 16, 2008

Thank you, Cupcake Lady!!

My boss had a birthday on Saturday, & today at the office we had a little mini celebration. Since I'm the resident cake girl, I decided to make some cupcakes for the occasion. I've been trying to make everything from scratch here lately, so these would be no exception. Our cabinets at home are pretty bare, but I did have all of the ingredients to make simple vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing. Plain ol' vanilla just seemed boring, though, not fit for a birthday celebration. After digging through my cabinets, I found a bottle of cinnamon & an idea was born. I threw a tsp in the cupcake batter along with the other required ingredients, & another 2 tsp in the icing. Let me just tell you...after these things came out of the oven, they smelled so good that I wasn't sure they'd last long enough to get icing put on them let alone make it to the office this morning. Alas, I was a good girl & only ate one "naked" cuppie. Oh man! They tasted just like a snickerdoodle cookie, & I was thrilled! Snickerdoodles are one of my favorites! (Honestly, though, I haven't met a cookie yet that I don't like, so a cupcake that tastes like a cookie is okay in my book.) The icing was good too, but I'm not a big fan of buttercream in general. *Cue gasps of horror*


They look a little rough because I over-filled the cups & had to decorate them in a hurry, but they still tasted yummy!

Having survived through the night unscathed (i.e. uneaten), the cupcakes came with me to work today. They were a big hit! Everyone in my office liked them, & I took a few of the remaining ones to the office next door. I think they lasted all of 45 seconds over there! Even a couple of gentlemen from our corporate office got in on the cupcake action before they were all gone...I got a handshake & a jolly "Thank you, Cupcake Lady!!" as I left the office. All in all I'm throughly pleased that my lastest baking adventure was a success.

This is a busy week for me, my first Monthly Bake Sale is Thursday, & I've got a couple of other orders. I'll also try to post some stuff I did last week that I'm pretty proud of. Stay tuned to see how everything turns out!

No comments: